Cooperation between FD &
ICIMOD for the
development of khakarborazi National Park
The following obligations were made by Myanmar so as to further strengthen Myanmar’s
engagement in International movements regarding forestry and environmental issues:
– accession to the UN Convention to Combat Desertification in those Countries Experiencing Serious Drought and/or
Desertification in January 1994;
– ratification of the UN Framework Convention on Climate Change in
– ratification of the UN Convention on Biological Diversity in November, 1994;
– accession to the International Tropical Timber Organization in November, 1993 and ratification of the International Tropical
Timber Agreement in January, 1996; and
– accession to the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora in June, 1997.
Myanmar has been a member country of the International Center for Integrated Mountain
Development (ICIMOD) since 1992. Information exchange and dissemination, demonstration of conservation
technologies, and trainings on application of RS/GIS/GPS technologies for educational purposes are the major
areas of cooperation between FD and ICIMOD.