Memorandum of Understanding
Signing of Four-nation MOU:
During the special plenary meeting on narcotic drugs of the 48 Session of the United Nations General Assembly held from 26 to 27 October 1993, representatives of Myanmar, China, Thailand and Laos signed on 25 October a Memorandum of Understanding on Regional Cooperation on Drug Abuse Control. The MOU was signed by Mr. Giacomelli, Under Secretary General of the United Nations, U Win Mra, Permanent Representative of the Union of Myanmar to the UN, Mr. Bai Jinfu, Secretary General of the Chinese National Narcotic Control Commission, Mr. Alowndeo Kittkoun, Permanent Representative of Laos to the UN and Police Lt. General Chavalit Yodmani, Secretary General of the Narcotics Control Board of Thailand
Objectives of the MOU:
The following are the objectives of the MOU:
(1) To expand the existing cooperation on drug control activities among the countries of the region; and
(2) To ensure the continuation of high level consultations among four countries and UNDCP concerning the regional problems of illicit drug production, trafficking, abuse and related HIV/AIDS infection.
Meeting of MOU countries:
The following meetings on cooperation among the MOU countries were held:
(1) First MOU Senior Official meeting was held from 30 June to 1 July 1994;
(2) Second MOU Senior Official meeting and First MOU Ministerial meeting were held from 25 to 27 May 1995 in Beijing, China;
(3) Third MOU Senior Official meeting and the meeting of the Programme Steering Committee of Sub-regional Action Plan were held from 8 to 10 May, 1996 in Yangon; and
(4) Fourth MOU Senior Official meeting and Second MOU Ministerial meeting were held from 9 to 11 January 1997 in Bangkok, Thailand.
Signing of 6- Nations MOU
Cambodia and Vietnam joined as new members to the MOU meeting held in Beijing from 25 to 27 1995 May of senior officials and Ministerial levels. The 6-Nations MOU was approved and signed by the Minister for Home Affairs Lt. General Mya Thin for Myanmar, the Minister for Public Security Mr. Tao Si Ju for the People's Republic of China, the Minister for Foreign Affairs Mr. Surin Pitsuwan of Thailand, the Deputy Minister for Ethnic Minorities and Mountainous Areas Mr. Phan Thanh Xuan for Vietnam, the Minister for Foreign Affairs Mr. Chein Suguon for Cambodia and the Executive Director of UNDCP Mr. Giacomelli. In accordance with the agreement reached at the MOU meeting, there are 11 projects under the Sub-regional Action Plan of which 2 are in the process of being implemented, 8 projects have been signed for implementation while one project remains to be signed.